As an oil testing lab, Eurofins TestOil conducts more than 50 different types of tests in our lab. However, there are eight that we run more frequently than others. These eight tests can be grouped into three categories - machine condition, oil condition, and contaminant detection.
Our analysts have an expert understanding of each test in these categories and can develop a comprehensive picture of the health of the machine and its lubricating oil. Here is a rundown of the three categories:
- Machine condition tests show the wear and tear on a machine's parts. We look for the presence of wear metals in the oil that may have been generated by components and then we determine if a normal or severe wear mode is occurring.
- Oil condition testing reveals the health of the lubricating oil itself. We determine if the lubricant is still fit for use and the extent of degradation that may have occurred.
- Contaminant detection testing helps our analysts identify foreign contaminants that may have entered the lubricating system.
The eight most frequently run tests and their categories are:
- Analytical Ferrography-machine condition
- Ferrous Wear Concentration-machine condition
- FTIR-oil condition
- Acid Number-oil condition
- Viscosity-oil condition
- Particle Count-contaminant detection
- Water Content-contaminant-detection
- Elemental Spectroscopy—machine condition, oil condition, contaminant detection
Elemental spectroscopy is a great test method that can fit in all three categories because it identifies the presence of wear metals, the presence of elements used as lubricant additives, and the presence of elements that could be associated with contamination.
By conducting these tests on a regular basis, reliability engineers can make informed decisions about when to service their equipment and what type of oil to use.
To dig deeper into these test methods, check out our free ebook: Oil Analysis for Dummies.
About Eurofins TestOil
With more than 30 years of experience in the oil analysis industry, Eurofins TestOil focuses exclusively on assisting industrial facilities with reducing maintenance costs and avoiding unexpected downtime through oil and fuel analysis program implementation. As industry experts in diagnosing oil-related issues in equipment such as turbines, hydraulics, gearboxes, pumps, compressors and diesel generators, Eurofins TestOil provides customers with same-day turnaround on routine oil analysis testing. For more information on partnering with Eurofins TestOil on oil analysis programs or training opportunities visit https://testoil.com. Contact: Michael Barrett 216-251-2510; firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Eurofins – the global leader in bio-analysis
Eurofins is Testing for Life. Eurofins is the global leader in food, environment, pharmaceutical and cosmetic product testing, and in discovery pharmacology, forensics, advanced material sciences and agroscience Contract Research services. Eurofins is also a market leader in certain testing and laboratory services for genomics, and in the support of clinical studies, as well as in BioPharma Contract Development and Manufacturing. The Group also has a rapidly developing presence in highly specialised and molecular clinical diagnostic testing and in-vitro diagnostic products.
With over 61,000 staff across a network of 940 laboratories in 59 countries, Eurofins’ companies offer a portfolio of over 200,000 analytical methods. Eurofins Shares are listed on Euronext Paris Stock Exchange.
Fill out the contact form below to let us know how we can help you today!