TestOil’s advanced coolant comprehensive slate includes all standard tests plus IC (Ion Chromatography) (ASTM D5827 Mod); HPLC (High Pressure Liquid Chromatography); and SCA Number (Calculated from nitrite-IC and molybdenum-ICP).
- IC (Ion Chromatography) (ASTM D5827 Mod): IC yields 10 results: contaminants (chloride, fluoride, and sulfate); degradation byproducts (glycolate, acetate, oxalate, and formate); and additives/inhibitors (nitrate, nitrite, and phosphate).
- HPLC (High Pressure Liquid Chromatography): HPLC testing will report two different inhibitor types: Carboxylic Organic Acids and Azoles. Carboxylic organic acids will provide corrosion protection of the metals in the cooling system; the corrosion protection inhibitors needed for the application and formulation must be adequate to provide protection for the cooling system. Azoles may be utilized in any coolant formulation on the market. Azole inhibitors are for copper and brass protection in the coolant formulation.
- SCA Number (Calculated from nitrite-IC and molybdenum-ICP): SCA (Supplemental Coolant Additives) Number reports the level of vital coolant additives. These additives are vital for the health and longevity of diesel engines, which are prone to cavitation (liner pitting). Cavitation can result in shorter engine life if the SCA level of the coolant is not monitored and maintained. Too little SCA will lead to corrosion. SCA that is too high could lead to the buildup of particles that cause abrasion, blockage, and damage.
The Coolant Standard test slate includes:
- Glycol Concentration (%)
- Specific Conductance (Conductivity) (uS/cm)
- Freeze Point (degrees C)
- Total Dissolved Solids
- Boil Point ( degrees C)
- Elemental Analysis by ICP (ASTM D6130)
- pH (ASTM D1287)
- Total Hardness as CaCO3
- Visual Analysis
- Nitrites (mg/L)
Benefits of TestOil’s Advanced Coolant Testing are both immediate and long term including extended drain intervals, a reduction in component failure/downtime and lifecycle management improvement.
Through TestOil PRO—the company’s onsite field services--TestOil’s coolant testing experts are able to simplify and streamline the coolant testing program for companies dealing with fleets that require multiple coolants.
With more than 30 years of experience in the oil analysis industry, TestOil focuses exclusively on assisting industrial facilities with reducing maintenance costs and avoiding unexpected downtime through oil analysis program implementation. As industry experts in diagnosing oil-related issues in equipment such as turbines, hydraulics, gearboxes, pumps, compressors and diesel generators, TestOil provides customers with a guarantee of same-day turnaround on all routine testing. TestOil PRO certified lubrication professionals educate the industry on oil analysis through public and private onsite training. These highly experienced professionals provide a variety of onsite services; from collecting oil samples to conducting failure analyses to writing work orders. For more information on partnering with TestOil on oil analysis programs or training opportunities visit https://testoil.com. Contact: Michael Barrett 216-251-2510; firstname.lastname@example.org.